Friday, December 20, 2013

Anchors


"I'm single, footloose and fancy free, I have no anchors. Work, friendship and self-improvement, that's me." Joel Edgerton

This is me, except that I HAVE anchors. I have people in my life that keep me grounded, keep it real. Whether they know it or not, they have encouraged me, pushed me, challenged me, kept me on my toes, held my hand, and guided me through my journey. 

Chelo, who has weathered so many of my life's journeys with me, call them "A Janssen in my life". A term coined to somehow understand how they have impacted my life. Only a few get that title. A very select few. 


Janssen Morados. We easily transitioned from being friends to him being my boss and pastor simply because he never stopped being a friend. I am not sure if he ever knew that I looked to him for strength, sought him out for comfort. With him, I can let my guard down. I allow myself to be raw, to be vulnerable. He ministers to me without him even knowing it. He ministers by just being him.

Excellence is not a mere goal to him, it is a lifestyle, it is who he is. And he always challenged me to be that too. Ok is never ok. He always knew what buttons to push to get my creative juices flowing. He made me believe in my ideas, made me think out of the box and do cartwheels and handstands while at it. 

When things get tough, I always ask myself: How would Janssen handle this? How would he want me to respond to this? In whatever road I take, whatever season I am in, I will always, always look to him. 

Sean Mahar. In the three years I have known him, he has been constant. My constant. He has been through this major soul searching journey with me. He has been holding my head up, egging me on, not allowing me to quit. He gate crashes my pity parties and makes sure that I snap out of it. 

He is a knight of the old kingdom. Not one of those in shining armor out to sweep you off your feet, but a gallant one who will slay dragons and fight battles for you.

There are more than 8,000 miles separating us but it never really mattered. Location is just trivial. He is always with me as I am with him. He is never far from my mind.

Keith Schulstad. This gutter swearing, cranky, old man is a sweetheart. His gruff exterior is just for show. He has a tenderness in him that is so endearing, you see it in the little things, in the way he worries when you're sick, in the way he panics when you don't pick up a call straight away. 

He is demanding and territorial. Though he doesn't expect you to be at his beck and call or be underfoot, he elicits that response. He is very appreciative of every gesture, every response. It is very encouraging to always be appreciated and to know that your efforts are not in vain. He is thoughtful and gentle. He will always take your feelings into consideration in every aspect.

He is my boss, but now, he is also my dad. He has filled the void in my heart left by my dad's passing. He is my dad all over again.

Ariel Yonzon. Where do I even begin? He waters my soul with witty comebacks and humorous remarks. He refreshes me with his sensitivity and gentleness. With him, I can let my hair down and know that I am not judged. I can speak freely, without pretense or guilt. 

He can see through me. Through my moods, my responses. He knows when things are not right in my world. I don't know how and why, he just knows. AND he believes that I deserve better. Hearing it from him makes me believe it, too.

Unbeknownst to him, he fans a flame that sparks a forgotten desire. I look to him for passion - for the craft that I have tried to forget. I look to him for pleasure - for discourse and banter. He is, a beautiful mind.


Anchors. They are my anchors. Men who keep me at bay. Men who show me the greatness of my Father's love and mercy. Each of them a facet of His love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment