Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I Will Find My Shangri-La


"Gentlemen, I give you a toast. Here's my hope that Robert Conway will find his Shangri-La. Here's my hope that we all find our Shangri-La." Lord Gainsford, Last Horizon 1937

I was about five years old when I read the book The Lost Horizon and about eight or nine when I watched the movie. I remember being enthralled at how the book described everything and how my childhood imagination created a Shangri-La in my head - snow-capped mystic mountains, lush mysterious forests, cold raging waters. I imagined it to be somewhere in the Himalayas. Tibet, Sikkim, Bhutan, even Nepal. A place of tranquility, a place of happiness.

The concept of Shangri-La has always stayed with me. Not an actual place but this feeling of peace and of contentment. A Utopia, so to speak. It is a place in my mind where everything seems quiet, still and beautiful.

At this time where everything seems noisy and turbulent, the yearning to find my Shangri-La is more pressing. How I wish I could just pack my bags and ride off into the sunset. How I yearn for a time where I can just wake up and sit still and be at peace. In a world where everything is connected and in an industry where operations are 24/7, it is difficult to disconnect and just be quiet. There is always a constant notification on the phone, a text message, a phone call or an email. It is very rare to find a space or time of quiet.

I want to be able to just sit still and be quiet. I want a time to just breathe in and bask in my Father's glory. I want to be able to get at least a week off, disconnect and be at His feet. 

I will find my Shangri-La. My happy place. I need to find it to quiet my soul and get me renewed.



No comments:

Post a Comment