Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Blessing that was Bacolod

"A good memory is one that can remember the day's blessings and forget the day's troubles." Irish Blessing

The trip top Bacolod came at a time when my heart was weary and troubled. I looked at the trip as a means to escape and an opportunity to breathe but it did more than that. It allowed me to see things from a different perspective, to appreciate and be thankful of what God allowed to happen.

Just like any Philippine province, Bacolod has a distinct personality - warm, gracious, welcoming. We were hosted by a friend from there who also had her friends be part of our trip. There was an instant feeling of being part of a group, not someone from the outside looking in. 

Hosted by Bacolod's Loveliest
Bacolod created new friendships and cemented existing ones. New friendships are always refreshing. Sharing lives and life's experiences with people who are different from you will always give you a new perspective and a different mindset. Truly a blessing to be with a group of strong personalities that made me look meek.  

"Each day holds a surprise. But only if we expect it can we see, hear, or feel it when it comes to us. Let's not be afraid to receive each day's surprise, whether it comes to us as sorrow or joy. It will open a new place in our hearts, a place where we can welcome new friends and celebrate more fully our shared humanity." Henri Nouwen





There was a trip to the beach that I was wary of because of the heat and my allergies but I was thankful for that time in that beautiful, pristine reef. Though I did get burned (as always) even if I were under a tent and all, it was at that moment when God truly spoke to me. Out there in the vast open water, you truly seem to be small in the grand scheme of things. All your troubles seem so minute and unimportant. It was as if God was telling me that it was nothing. Shrug it off and move on.



 "For every dream in our heart, God gives us inspiration. For every hope we seek, God gives us miracles." Anonymous
Carbin Reef was about a two hour trip from Bacolod City and is a 15 minute ferry from Sagay, Negros Occidental. Good sized strip of reef, clean and beautiful waters and a wonderful group of men taking care of it. As you arrive, you are given an orientation of the do's and don'ts of the reef. I would have enjoyed it if I was allowed to stay the night as waters get a different almost mysterious quality. But understanding that safety is utmost concern, at 5pm, the reef is no longer open to the public.

I got a chance to wander about the city of Bacolod with a new found friend taking me about. Always a must for me is a visit to the market, a cemetery and a church. As we were walking about, Bacolod City for some reason has a mausoleum right smack in the middle of a busy road. It is the resting place of one of the older families of Bacolod and it truly made me wonder of its beginnings. 


Right smack on a busy street is the Luzuriaga Family plot. Across from it is the Bacolod City public cemetery.



This is the Jayme Garcia plot by the corner of Burgos St. and Lopez Jaena St.






The Bacolod Public Cemetery, sadly, is a poorly planned one. Ridiculously full that there are no clear pathways to the different plots. I understand the lack of space but then again, if proper planning was done, it would not be in this state. 




The Bacolod Cathedral or the San Sebastian Cathedral was built in 1876 by the Order of Preachers or Dominicans. It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bacolod. With my visit being a Sunday, it was too full and I did not get to take photos of the altar.





We also dropped by the Dizon-Ramos museum on Burgos St. in Bacolod. The home of the late La Sallian Brother Rolly Dizon. Eclectic pieces were on display, making it a bit of a letdown. The noteworthy pieces on display weren't allowed to be photographed. These were the collection of crystal/glass pieces and ornate jewelry.

Next stop was an exploration of the Silay Heritage Homes. Not too appealing for me like the homes of the North, maybe because of architecture and material differences. It did have an old world feel to it and more than the houses, it was the old trees that got to me. Centuries old trees standing sentinel to the houses. That spoke volumes to me. 




The tree right by the Balay Negrense. Wish I had the time to find out what stories this tree could tell.






The last stop for us was the Taj Mahal of Bacolod or the Ruins as it is fondly called. Ruins of an old mansion built by sugar baron Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson for his Portugese wife, Maria Braga, it is a sight to behold. The beauty in the fading light, makes you think of how much more beautiful it was in its prime.



The Ruins in the fading light.











I wonder what the stories these walls could tell.








The beauty of Bacolod is more than what is seen in the photos. There is a gentleness of spirit in the people, a genuine warmth, and a welcoming heart. I went to Bacolod as a wounded soul looking forward to some breathing space to be with my Father and I came back richer and healed. 

"In the dark night of the soul, bright flows the river of God." St. John of the Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment